Effective compensation programs attract talented employees and retain, motivate and reward key contributors. Having the right pay program in place enables an organization to achieve its business goals.
How we help:
S~J assists clients with all activities related to the design, implementation and administration of their compensation programs, including:
- Needs analysis and program review
- Organization job structure / job family development
- Job evaluation and market position review
- Position description development
- Wage and salary administration
- Incentive compensation programs
S~J brings to each project a clear understanding of the issues, trends and legal restrictions surrounding the design and administration of compensation programs.
We also understand the implications of operating within the infrastructure's budget and consider the unique corporate cultural environment that influences an organization's compensation program design.
An organization that has a well-designed and communicated benefits program is able to spend its time running the business, not handling benefit issues.
We are frequently asked to review a benefits program. During this process we consistently identify areas where there is either the potential for substantial savings or a reduction in liability.
How We Help:
- Design, implement and administer benefit programs:
- Health, life and disability programs
- Flexible benefits and pretax premium plans
- Retirement benefits, including defined benefit and defined contribution plans
- Supplemental retirement plans
- Develop effective and technically accurate employee communications and education
- Assist with vendor search, manage vendor change and vendor implementation
- Prepare for and manage IRS and Department of Labor audits
- Prepare Annual Reports (Form 5500, Summary Annual Reports)
- Perform compliance reviews
- Develop Federally legislated reporting and disclosure requirements documentation (Plan Documents, Summary of Material Modifications, Summary Plan Descriptions)
S~J brings an objective approach to these assignments. We are not brokers or agents - we do not receive commissions - which allows us to be objective and impartial in our vendor and program recommendations.
We bring our business management experience and independent consultant perspective to each assignment, giving our clients a unique blend of expertise and pragmatic attention to detail.
Employee Development & Performance
Setting clear goals and expectations for individuals as well as for the business units is the cornerstone of good performance management, and enables the organization to meet and/or exceed its organizational objectives. Integral to that process is the assessment of each employee's individual professional development needs and the creation of an individualized action plan to address them as well as to enable long term professional growth.
How We Help:
- Provide individual employee skills assessment and gap analysis
- Develop and implement a Performance Management Program, including measurable metrics for each individual
- Develop and deliver effective and relevant management training programs to enable managers to:
- Coach and counsel employees most effectively
- Encourage individual initiative and accountability
- Provide creative and process-friendly ways of employee advancement
- Ensure effective employee communications and appropriate messaging
Creating the right atmosphere for success is critical for sustainable results, and it takes someone with lots of experience to chart the best course of action -- that's where we can help.
Employee Relations / HR Operations
It is essential for all businesses, large and small, to have policies, processes and systems in place to reduce the employment-related risks that inevitably arise during the course of doing business.
An important component includes a viable employee relations function, which is supported by strong management execution and fair and honest employee relationships.
How We Help:
- Conduct HR audits / gap analyses
- Provide HR process review and design
- Define, design and implement an effective staffing organization
- Develop and implement HR policies and procedures, including Employee Handbooks
- Identify methodologies for keeping the finger on the pulse - how to know what your employees are thinking and doing
- Develop metrics tailored for benchmarking and measuring the effectiveness of your HR function
- Provide complaint investigations and resolution
A well run Human Resources function that includes all the tools to support and enhance the business results in positive employee morale and productivity.
Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action & Diversity
Smith~Jennings offers expertise in the complexities of planning and implementing Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Affirmative Action (AA) and all aspects of diversity. An organization that is confident about its corporate integrity, is in compliance with local, state and federal employment laws, and has the tools required to track and support its objectives has a competitive advantage. It can spend its time and efforts on other priorities without worrying about the tremendous liability of non-compliance.
How We Help:
- Develop your EO 11246-compliant Affirmative Action Plans ("AAP") and the required AAP supporting data and reports
- Prepare compensation analyses to allow you to pre-empt any EEO/AA-related compensation issues prior to outside intervention
- Ensure compliance in your EEO/AA operational aspects, including a process and data systems review
- Manage your OFCCP / State desk audit process, including preparation of all required submission documents
- Manage your on-site audits, including advising on and/or liaisoning with the Compliance Officer
- Perform harassment / sexual harassment and discrimination investigations and make resolution recommendations based on findings
- Work with your internal / external legal counsel in resolution of issues, claims and audits
- Provide mandated manager and employee training on EEO/AA
- Assist with and/or prepare your annual EEO-1 and Vets-100 reports
S~J offers creative yet pragmatic solutions, assisting our clients with the development of straightforward processes for managing and ensuring fair and compliant employment practices.
Organizations in Transition / Divestitures
Organizations must constantly make adjustments to stay viable and competitive. S~J plays a variety of roles in these situations, whether it is to direct and lead the effort or to supply expertise and manpower as a member of the team.
How We Help:
- Provide interim HR leadership due to organizational transition or unexpected vacancy
- Lead and/or assist with the planning and execution of organizational restructures
- Lead and/or assist with the implementation of changes due to business shifts and market repositionings
- Engineer and manage business process re-designs and implementations
Success in achieving a smooth transition or divestiture is achieved by having a well-conceived and supported action plan and by being diligent in documentation and communication of the process, each and every step of the way.
Start-Ups, Mergers & Acquisitions
Whether you are in the start-up phase of building a business or growing a business through mergers or acquisitions, having the right amount and level of HR involvement will enhance the growth process, identify and control HR-related liabilities and help to position the business for success.
How We Help:
- Perform an extensive HR Due Diligence review and document relevant findings
- Assist in determining the 'new co' workforce requirements and organizational structure
- Develop or modify the HR infrastructure to support the transactional objectives including the recommendation for and integration of plans and programs as appropriate
- Develop a strategy and supporting materials to effect clear, concise and timely communications with employees during the process
S~J's experience has proven that bringing HR into the mix early is the most effective method of establishing a smooth process and curtailing liabilities. Without the benefit of early HR observations and participation, HR issues may go unnoticed and escalate as the organization moves through the change.